Tuesday 17 February 2009

The great and beautiful John Hicklenton

I hope people were able to catch 'Here's Johnny' on T4 Tuesday night about John's brave battle with MS. I forgot how much I love this guy. He's an incredible artist, his style being at once elegant, graceful but also laden with the ferocity of a Werewolf. John was the artist on my favourite Third World War stories I wrote with Pat Mills. Especially the first story 'The Word According to Ryan.' Mills and I spent several days working up that story and John just exceeded our expectations by designing some of the most grotesque images of human beings I have ever seen. Especially Chief Inspector John Ryan. If you've never caught John's art then it's certainly a must! John is amongst the greatest artists this country has ever produced. He is an absolute genius but don't take my word for it, check out his stuff, some of which will feature on this site shortly ...

2 comments:

  1. I remember John did a short for Deadline Magazine, I think he wrote it, too, called Aggre-Siva. that's the kind of stuff that I wanted to see him do more of, the kind of thing where he'd be left to his own devices and allowed to roam free. he was an astonishing artist. there was that issue of Crisis where Ryan is "remembering" his mother that sticks firmly in my mind, too, like a beautiful nightmare. I've just realised that I'm referring to him in the past sense, and it makes me sad.

    I'll see if I can find the show on the Catch-Up thingie, though I'm not sure if I really WANT to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.channel4.com/video/brandless-catchup.jsp?vodBrand=true-stories-heres-johnny#popover

    Joe
    If you haven't seen this you should it is brilliant, sad, and essential viewing. Here's the url for other people to see this guy's wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete